Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Go Germany and Netherlands!!!

I find the dives comical, but slightly annoying...

Its almost as if, in order to make the playing field fair, a good team that doesn't take dives, NEEDS to take dives just to keep things fair, because the opposing team is diving left and right.

Its not even just dives... like you can be injured SLIGHTLY in soccer, and its seen as OK to roll around on the field like U got shot in the arm, crying for like 30 seconds.

In any other sport the player grits his teeth ans shrugs it off, gets up, maybe lets out some profanity and gets back to play.

Z
    Last edited by -Z-; 06-24-2010 at 12:18.

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

Tnova Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ooga booga View Post
    Tnova I disagree that because there are set pieces or a chance of playing 10 vs 11 is an excuse for these players. In Hockey rarely do I see players diving all over the ice trying to get tripping calls. Sure it'll happen now and then but not 20 times a game!! And a man advantage is a big deal for hockey, yet it's a physical sport and they play with toughness. American football a penalty is huge but it's harder to try and fake an injury for a penalty there. Still I would enjoy the sport more if the players tried to be a little more tough and realistic about it. If you are injured and really hurting fine. But not 20 injuries a game where there's not much physical contact. I don't see that happening in Hockey or American football and there is a lot more physical contact in those sports (my 2 favorite) than in soccer/world footy. I think it's a reason why it turns a lot of Americans off, because we compare it to the other sports we watch and we think it's a joke.

It isn't an excuse. It is a motive. You can't compare too hockey for two reasons, #1 hockey players get put in time out for 2 minutes, soccer players leave the game and can't come back the next game either, #2 I've seen these yahoos lay down in front of people about to rip a slap shot. What a bunch of Sadists, pain obviously gives them pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

Welcome to football, if it isn't already the most popular sport in USA (and I have a sneaky suspicion it is, even though your media won't accept it) it soon will be. Nothing like the feeling of a last minute winning goal. Hope Everton sign Donovan again, would be a great time to build our exposure over there.

That's 96 minutes of my life I'll never get back, truly awful. Hoping for the Spanish game tonigth to be a cracker now, Spain need the win and Chile only know how to attack so it's got all the ingredients for a good game.

Germany, England, Portugal, Holland... UEFA teams.. good
    SRS

wow (2003-2007):
    USSR - LOTR - NTN - LoR - WLF

nw:
    WLF - USSR - SV - ICN - LoR - SKY - CR

Long Live the Nation
    Long Live USSR

wow...Gyan scored a great goal :S Suarez first and now Gyan, great day.

BTW; it is very unfortunate for USA that the game goes to extra time, since Ghana is the youngest team of the tournament (Avarage age: Ghana 24, USA 28).. they dont get tired easily.
    SRS

wow (2003-2007):

nw:

Long Live the Nation
    Long Live USSR

Crimson Shadow Guest

Well I had the score right, just had Ghana winning in 90' instead of extra time.

USA had a good run, it will be interesting to see if the sudden popularity of the sport in America remains as high as it has been recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Russia View Post
    Germany, England, Portugal, Holland... UEFA teams.. good
    only 3 can get to next round at max. south america is doing great this year though
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Shadow View Post
    Well I had the score right, just had Ghana winning in 90' instead of extra time.

USA had a good run, it will be interesting to see if the sudden popularity of the sport in America remains as high as it has been recently.
    It won't. I liked nosejam's video the other day but I'm not at all sold. Hockey's popularity spiked a few months ago during the Winter Olympics when USA was doing well. I saw bimbo people talk and act like they were huge hockey fans during that time frame when they probably didn't even know what an icing call is. The World Cup will end, ESPN will go back to their routine, and the interest will go back down to the normal level (like it has with Hockey already) in a month until the next world cup. Our friendly with Brazil after the WC may keep the buzz for an extra few weeks but I don't see it going past that. Americans like to be proud, and don't want to be embarrassed (than again who does? ) If the talent level remains the same and doesn't improve in the MLS and USL divisions than it will continue to be out of the top 5 sports in the U.S. in my opinion.

They should unite USL amd MLS... soccer is not nba
    SRS

wow (2003-2007):

nw:

Long Live the Nation
    Long Live USSR