Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crimson's Rant

To go one step further on the not deleting states and adding land per turn to new people, WHAT IF: We also added land to inactive states and after the 2nd week of inactivity it pulls them out of protection and allow them to be be attacked. (at random times so people can't sit and wait for grabs at the exact moment)

This would offer grabs for new smaller states but these would be out of reach for the larger states. Granted stockers would be able to grab them but we could figure something out for that. This increases the amount of land to grab and also makes the game look more active.

Question is, if you are an active member and take a set off and your state gets grabbed even though your not playing, would you care?

"You counted on America to be passive... You counted Wrong!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    To go one step further on the not deleting states and adding land per turn to new people, WHAT IF: We also added land to inactive states and after the 2nd week of inactivity it pulls them out of protection and allow them to be be attacked. (at random times so people can't sit and wait for grabs at the exact moment)

This would offer grabs for new smaller states but these would be out of reach for the larger states. Granted stockers would be able to grab them but we could figure something out for that. This increases the amount of land to grab and also makes the game look more active.

Question is, if you are an active member and take a set off and your state gets grabbed even though your not playing, would you care?
    I like this idea. I think that in terms of actives taking a set off, I personally wouldn't care if I've taken a set off that, if this was implemented, I was used to aid the new players...

Maybe only have the players with the new player mark or say less than 6 months old accounts (obviously this might not work if older players come back with new accounts) allowed to grab these states? I don't know how hard that would be to code. I guess you could also highlight these inactive grab states (similar to the way dead states are red) to make it easier again.

With adding land, I think new players getting some land a turn is fine but would have to be small. I think for the inactive states gaining land, maybe have them gain more so it is a better grab for the new players, say every day they gain 1k land or something, either all in one go OR randomly over the 24 hours.

I can add something in for bonuses where if you post that day you receive your bonus. But, I worry that people will just come on and post a one word post to get the bonus.
    set a requirement on the forums that each post has to be atleast X amount of characters that way they can't do that one word type of post thing

WHAT IF: We also added land to inactive states and after the 2nd week of inactivity it pulls them out of protection and allow them to be be attacked. (at random times so people can't sit and wait for grabs at the exact moment)

This would offer grabs for new smaller states but these would be out of reach for the larger states.
    About random times, that would simply make it harder to do. No larger state is going to go for the inactive states when the active states got *way* more land and new stats only gain one land per turn, unless you're thinking of giving them way more land! Also, it won't help new players if they try to attack...only to find out they can't attack them!!

Inactives gaining just one piece of land per turn would be high enough to give new players great targets, and low enough for us advanced players to not even go for them.

You can do a simple one line code in the cron script to do it all, the simple way, with just inactives getting land. Something like

$db->query("UPDATE users SET land=land+1 WHERE food=100 AND inactivedays > 15");

after it's changed so accounts don't get deleted, but just get reset to default settings exactly like us supporters get. I don't think any one would not donate simply because all non-supporter nations don't get deleted every round, when it would help hew players!!

In the code above, food 100 would be how much food we start with each round, so us actives keep the 200 turn protection, and accounts that used to be active but then become inactive on day 10 after they have got a lot of land will lose the protection when the next round starts after they become inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat22 View Post
    With adding land, I think new players getting some land a turn is fine but would have to be small. I think for the inactive states gaining land, maybe have them gain more so it is a better grab for the new players, say every day they gain 1k land or something, either all in one go OR randomly over the 24 hours.
    I wouldn't call 1,000 land a day small!!! That's HUGE!!!!!!! One land per turn is 3,888 land gained over a complete round vs 27,000.
    Main Game firsts...

First to get billions in Networth.
    First to get trillions in cash.

Then my nation was rolled back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    About random times, that would simply make it harder to do. No larger state is going to go for the inactive states when the active states got *way* more land and new stats only gain one land per turn, unless you're thinking of giving them way more land! Also, it won't help new players if they try to attack...only to find out they can't attack them!!

Inactives gaining just one piece of land per turn would be high enough to give new players great targets, and low enough for us advanced players to not even go for them.

You can do a simple one line code in the cron script to do it all, the simple way, with just inactives getting land. Something like

$db->query("UPDATE users SET land=land+1 WHERE food=100 AND inactivedays > 15");

after it's changed so accounts don't get deleted, but just get reset to default settings exactly like us supporters get. I don't think any one would not donate simply because all non-supporter nations don't get deleted every round, when it would help hew players!!

In the code above, food 100 would be how much food we start with each round, so us actives keep the 200 turn protection, and accounts that used to be active but then become inactive on day 10 after they have got a lot of land will lose the protection when the next round starts after they become inactive.

I wouldn't call 1,000 land a day small!!! That's HUGE!!!!!!! One land per turn is 3,888 land gained over a complete round vs 27,000.
    Coming out of protection would have to be set at random times. We can do groups of say 5 for example but if all of a sudden 100 states are out of protection and bottom feeder will just hit them all.. And trust me, if a state sits low and stocks and can hit a state with no losses they will.

Coding it in is not an issue. As you mentioned it's a simple cron script and it will be based on a couple variables. I really do like this idea as not only does it offer more grabs it also makes the game look more active. Plus it beats the automated bots that have been floating around

"You counted on America to be passive... You counted Wrong!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I never said 1k land was small... I said it should be more than what the new players gain - which should be small, which you also covered in your post. I like your idea for gaining 1 land per turn or maybe 2 per turn.

I also didn't categorically say, "give them 1k land per day", it was merely a figure thrown out to display the need for a higher gain for inactive states than new players.

Also I think with this idea, the need to take into account that the new players will get grabbed and so will the inactives. Thus, although they are gaining 3,888 and if we use the 1k land as an example 27k (obviously this won't be the actual number if it is implemented) they will lose land too.

Coming out of protection would have to be set at random times. We can do groups of say 5 for example but if all of a sudden 100 states are out of protection and bottom feeder will just hit them all.. And trust me, if a state sits low and stocks and can hit a state with no losses they will.
    Would you be able to use the UNIX time stamp to tell the game when they registered? Then they could come out of protection mode almost exactly 14 days after they become inactive, just up to 10 minutes off, all through out the day, and not all at the same time.

Even if it can't all be worked out by the time the next round starts, maybe at least get it set to not deleting all the stats at the end of this round, so we can start now on getting the number of listed states increased. And since this would only effect inactive accounts, it could even be something that's completed and added while the rounds going.

Plus it beats the automated bots that have been floating around
    At this other game that I found and mentioned here as an example of not deleting users, we love the bots!!! They provide a ton of money, and they have a very small military = no damage for us!!!! I would guess that out of '3,150 active players' 2,500 are bots, 500 are inactives, and maybe 150 are actives. The game would be dead if it wasn't for the bots providing us with money!!! And they make the game look *very* popular!!! Once you find out there are less than 200 actives, you're hooked!!

I think I totally hijacked this thread with this idea!!!!
    Main Game firsts...

First to get billions in Networth.
    First to get trillions in cash.

Then my nation was rolled back!!

Crimson Shadow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CommunistCapitalism View Post
    Secondly, I know that it is frustrating that these older veterans have slipped from our grasp. One of them you mentioned is gnorf. I have tried over the past 2 years to find a way to get in contact with this guy but he never comes on msn, aim, responds to private messages on Dak forums, or anything. I think they have just LITERALLY fallen off the grid.

I think the best way to get a community going is have every active member bring one friend or new player back every set. I'm not talking bringing tons of people or wasting tons of time on forums or in other games. Just get in contact with a friend, and get him to come play!
    I doubt bringing in friends will help us out very much. We have taken the word of mouth tactic as far as it will carry us and it always ends up unsuccessful. I know I have asked all of my friends at least 5 times to give it a try, but they see the game is text based and are immediately turned off. We need to focus on a community of other people who still enjoy this type of game.

And yes, I know it is almost impossible to reach the old vets. I have tried countless times to get through some of them, I just didn't know if anyone else had any means of contacting them since MSN/AIM/emails aren't working.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunistCapitalism View Post
    I think that another way to sort of mix up the fun is try to mix up the nations a little bit. While it is cool to see USA, Sky, LoR, set in and set out, perhaps a way to generate new interest and enthusiasm is to break these nations down and start some fresh ones with different people. Obviously this is not really possible to enforce but if we shuffled the nation it would encourage more communication and we would get to know some people that we wouldn't ordinarily know.
    I was thinking about starting up NS again next set, but like Totte I just don't have the time to be as fully active as I can be until summer is over. Thats why I was hoping to focus on recruiting rather than myself starting a new nation.

Quote Originally Posted by totte View Post
    i used to be rather active when i started wow in 2001 sometime or other had my own nation running wich was very active... now the reason for it being so active was that first of all we had great internal coms everyone had icq for example and we had our own irc chan to hang around in and an off game nation forum site. The game comunity was very active aswell due to the fact that it also had an irc chan that you could just idle in thus people who had question could get instant help for example and ppl got to know each other.
    now for me and i'm rather sure it goes for calvin to we dont play the game to be the best we play it because of the friends we have made
    I think we tried to get irc up and running for USA war strikes like 2 years ago, but you had to pay to get a working version. We tried to use the free version, but it kept giving us corrupted files and errors. Perhaps something like this would help players to stick around longer than just to play turns and log off.

Why should they care? If you havent logged on and played a turn in 15 days, I don't think you really had much of a chance of winning the set. If the question was would they care if we logged onto their account and played their turns, then you would have an argument. But if you get upset because your account got kicked from protection after a half-set of inactivity then maybe you should have played your turns in the first place.

Calvin74 Guest

crimson
    go to mir.com and just download mirc

we can work on getting a NW room setup
    maybe mr p can look at having a server that runs through here
    i know earth uses irc.earthempires.com
    so maybe we can get a nw one and then have clans that each have their own room to chat and have war chats and also just a general room people can hang out in

Calvin74 Guest

as to what totte said he is mostly right
    there is nothing in this game that i haven't accomplished at least 10 times over.
    i have shown i can net
    i have warred
    i have led the best nations

what really is left
    i stuck around in wow b/c i felt i owed svenn and b/c of the friends
    i play nw to help Mr P since i think he needs it and for the company. i play with my friends and we just kinda mess around
    we invited a 5 min a day strat that gives a top ten finish

i don't have it in me to completely train a guy from scratch and i dont think it would be fair to that player. i have done it too many times in the past and sunk too much of my life into the game. i am more than willing to take on anyone that has a basic understanding of the game and expand their knowledge and give them opportunities they haven;t had before.
    this set ragnar actually took us up on our offer to play in CR and he has said he will get his best finish ever by a wide margin.

i would be more than happy to teach anyone any aspect of the game. not to brag but i don't think there are many people if any that have my understanding or knowledge of the game (granted this is b/c i have way way more experience than anyone)