Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: July 4th 1776-Aug. 2nd 2011

Quote Originally Posted by L P View Post
    I'm curious as to what information you are using to make this comment?
    Well, the republican refusal to support big tax hikes for a start, which is needed if the US doesn't want even more downgrades in the future. At this rate in 5 years Greece will have a better rating.

So we keep taxing to fix the problem?

It seems that the problem was caused by an insane amount of government spending most of which was not needed or controlled. So increasing the taxes would not stop the spending.

In perspective: If I exceed the limit on my credit card is my employer responsible to pay me a higher wage so I can get an increased amount of credit?

Quote Originally Posted by L P View Post
    So we keep taxing to fix the problem?

It seems that the problem was caused by an insane amount of government spending most of which was not needed or controlled. So increasing the taxes would not stop the spending.

In perspective: If I exceed the limit on my credit card is my employer responsible to pay me a higher wage so I can get an increased amount of credit?
    It's more along the lines of your employer paying you far less than he should do for the last ten years, forcing you to borrow more.

I'm all for cutting spending, starting with defence and aid to Israel. If the US halved it's defense budget it would still have the most powerful military on the planet. And Israel already has the best military in the Middle East, if the US stopped the funding there wouldn't be Holocaust Mk 2. If defence spending equaled military power, then the UK could take on Russia by ourselves and win.