Thread: Need Assistance

Default Need Assistance

I know we have some programmers among us so I'm hoping one of them will be able to help me with an issue I'm having. There is a way and I haven't figured it out just to to keep existing data on a db table but enter more.

Let me explain this in more detail.

Say we have a table called users with a column called groupid and the normal group id = 2 but say I want to allow more groupid's to this field what kind of query would I run to do that with? So in that field it would have 2,12,18.. This would allow that user to be in 3 usergroups...

There is a way to do this as I have seen it.. I just don't know how. If I do an update query it will remove what is there and replace it with the new selection.

Would I have to do a SELECT on what is there then put the result in the VALUE along with the new groupid? I didn't try that yet, but it is the only way I can think of but there has to be an easier way..

Ideas?

"You counted on America to be passive... You counted Wrong!"

Well to solve your problem you need to add a new table. It's called a junction table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_table

This way you don't have to do a lot of weird programming .

Then you can use a simple subquery to get that result:

Code:
    SELECT * FROM Groups WHERE group_id IN (SELECT group_id FROM usergroup WHERE user_id = 1)
    Last edited by DBozMen; 08-27-2011 at 14:28. Reason: Forgot something

WLF's Territory
    To many to count x [WLF] - 1 x [www] - 2 x [SLOB] - 1 x [PAIN] - 1 x [UB] - 1 x [NS] - 1 x [SF] - 5 x [USA]

I actually figured it out after I made the post..

Code:
    UPDATE user SET membergroupids = CONCAT(membergroupids, ',X') WHERE userid = Y
    It worked pretty well.

Allright :-), that works aswell. But i would recomend my solution for a DB with good structure. If it's for the NW game DB, then it doesn't matter. That one isn't the greatest

WLF's Territory
    To many to count x [WLF] - 1 x [www] - 2 x [SLOB] - 1 x [PAIN] - 1 x [UB] - 1 x [NS] - 1 x [SF] - 5 x [USA]

I do like your idea as well.. And no our structure isn't the best.. Either way will do fine.