Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is This The End?

Quote Originally Posted by Bright View Post
    Gotta agree on this, not all vets were against change, but a lot of them left or got disinterested after changes were sampled and then rolled back, myself included. I came back since I hate to see the game die out like this in hopes that new people would stick around. All of the unwritten rules and such from before ran off a lot of newer players with promise, especially ones that wanted to war (Burch comes to mind as one of the more recent ones)- changes should be welcomed IMO. Adapting to new changes and strategies keeps things from getting stale and boring.
    The good ole doulbe edged sword. cant make too many changes becsause teh came is so complex, cant dumb down the game because thats what makes it "good". the game becomes stale and new blood have no interests (the iphone generation) but we cant abandon the ones that remain because who will be left to play?i have no idea what the answer is, we used to have long talks about specific features and specific "things" that made people leave... what to do about it, what to change!i really like the looks of this new server (besides the 15 states) I think I will only play that server for a while, and if some of us dont adopt that server as "change" then we may be kissing this game goodbye

You definitely wouldn't want to do too much at once, but sometimes a big change/update is necessary from time to time too. Many games with staying power have version/title updates periodically to roll out big changes. It always ends up dividing the community, but it tides over and everyone gets back to playing. For the most part though, even minor changes have been resisted in the past, though some headway has been made such as missiles or making bombers useful. A lot of us can be obstinate about changes to even unwritten rules, but sooner or later you run out of people to yell at to get off of the lawn...and then what do we do? Watch the tumbleweeds roll down the street? Like you said though, this game is so complicated that it can be head-scratching trying to figure out where to start. Mr. P has a thankless job.

I think driving away some of the newer guys who had a lot of enthusiasm for the game was the problem. Guys like Blade, who made his own nation that was mostly full of newer players. And in the end they simply got driven away because the older guys didn't like how they didn't fit into the established way of playing the game. If you can't hold new players, the game is doomed. You can't depend on the older guys to keep playing this game forever. We get older and we simply don't have the time or energy to put into this as we did 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavior View Post
    We get older and we simply don't have the time or energy to put into this as we did 10 years ago.
    I think thats the big one right there. I remember playing with when i was in middle school and high school and this game was much higher on my priority list. Now most of us are adults... when a kid starts playing i think we try to get them to see it our way or we just kill him. I think it has just been our lives that have got in the way.

I'm just dreaming a reality while crossing a bridge to nowhere

Here is to Backstabbers!... you know who you are

If Max Logan leaves, it's the end!
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE

Default So True

Quote Originally Posted by Xavior View Post
    I think driving away some of the newer guys who had a lot of enthusiasm for the game was the problem. Guys like Blade, who made his own nation that was mostly full of newer players. And in the end they simply got driven away because the older guys didn't like how they didn't fit into the established way of playing the game. If you can't hold new players, the game is doomed. You can't depend on the older guys to keep playing this game forever. We get older and we simply don't have the time or energy to put into this as we did 10 years ago.
    I just came back and am surprised at how few players there are. What Xavior says is true. A few times I came back and played it was always the vets that teamed up and picked on the new guys, driving them away!

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    I just came back and am surprised at how few players there are. What Xavior says is true. A few times I came back and played it was always the vets that teamed up and picked on the new guys, driving them away!
    im going to miss it when its gone! This strange little thing we all share....This wrinkle on the internet that we have all stumbled upon and felt compelled to return again and again. How unique a group of strangers become friends without ever meeting face to faceHow we have held on...The storyline of this community/game mimics so many of lifes ups and downsI dont think I will every be a part of something so unique and oddly special like this again in this lifetimeit saddens me...

I think the reports of our death are greatly exaggerated. We're not going anywhere. We may be shrinking, but small doesn't mean dead!

i agree
    well i have met 1 wow/nwer face to face so far

Judging from all the responses to this thread I'd say we're doing just fine.