Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablets and Cheap Laptops

Default Tablets and Cheap Laptops

I'm in the market for something portable. Any suggestions? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. Must be less than $500 USD the cheaper the better.

500 dollars should get you a really good computer not a cheap one
    I have a dell and unlike my smartphone, it hasn't broken down after using for some years. Just visit their website www.dell.com and choose what you like.
    Last edited by blaa; 09-02-2013 at 01:07.

Yeah, $500 will get you a really nice laptop.

i like those new convertables that run windows 8. I really want to look into one. I am buying both my boys laptops this xmas and im hoping for something with touch screen at the 500$ price point. Hoping by xmas the prices will go down as the new models role out.

but 500 is going to get you something pretty decent. my neighbor bought his son a nice windows 8 machine (no touch) for about $375.

I found some off-lease refurbished Asus laptops on Tiger Direct. One was one sale for $250:

14" ASUS X401U-EBL4 Laptop Computer. Equipped with an AMD Dual-Core E1-1200 1.4GHz Processor and 4GB of DDR3 Memory, Windows 7

They also had a few touch screen, Win 8 for about $100 more.

I'm not sure I need a touch screen or Windows 8.

Also, it's my understanding that tablets don't support Flash? Is that correct?

the Android OS is pretty decent but NO workhorse. tablets are no more than larger cell phones. If you are going to be doing any type of typing i would get a full keyboard and Windows 8 is a solid operatings system. I have a phone, tablet, laptop and pc. my fav is the the pc by far.

not to mention the battery is not so great, to say the least. anything decent, tablet wise, will cost you. anything at low cost, is not really worth buying. stick with a smartphone and laptop.
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE

i have a kindle fire that I NEVER EVER EVER use. gave it to my 5 year old daughter. between my PC (ultra fast ultra reliable) and my phone (ultra portable ultra convenient) Im not much on a tablet unless its a Laptop Convertible w/ touch.

Get yourself the nicest laptop for the absolute most you can afford. YOu said $500. I looked at Best Buy.com and they had every major manufacture having a touch screen laptop in the $500 range. Thats where I would spend your money. My money would go to a nice desktop, but its a preference. (actually if i had an extra $200 I would have a new phone atm)

miss you max