Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Gems of wisdom from the Republican Party

popular vote means nothing, because if it did we would of had Al Gore, and who knows how the US would be today. I voted Gore, then Bush, then Obama, and now....

Quote Originally Posted by MAGGIO View Post
    popular vote means nothing, because if it did we would of had Al Gore, and who knows how the US would be today. I voted Gore, then Bush, then Obama, and now....
    you will vote for mr president

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    But who is likely to win the popular vote? if Romney wins that and Obama wins the Electoral College, you guys could end up with civil war.
    Na but it might make us actually change this dumb electoral college system. I don't like how its set up. I think the popular vote should decide it.

We didn't have a civil war when the same thing happened with bush and gore. Just a bunch of court cases. Whole lotta nuthin

Well I hope like hell we don't have the court cases this time. But as for the electoral college, sorry folks, it is in the constitution, that some think is outdated to which I disagree, that the states elect the president.

The framers of our constitution were geniuses, they were able to write something over 200 years ago, that still applies and is relevant today. Granted times change, but the constitution does not. When I started voting, Alabama didn't even have the president's name on the ballot, only the electors.

i got to disagree about the electoral. This was written back when we had 13 states...and a very small population so it worked. Now its rediculous that its like 5 states that can decide the election. Essentially if your voting in a blue state as a republican..your vote means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    Well I hope like hell we don't have the court cases this time. But as for the electoral college, sorry folks, it is in the constitution, that some think is outdated to which I disagree, that the states elect the president.

The framers of our constitution were geniuses, they were able to write something over 200 years ago, that still applies and is relevant today. Granted times change, but the constitution does not. When I started voting, Alabama didn't even have the president's name on the ballot, only the electors.
    well if you look at it, it makes no sense to vote in the us because in the end it doesnt matter because there is a failsafe incase you vote in the "wrong president"

Quote Originally Posted by MellonColly View Post
    i got to disagree about the electoral. This was written back when we had 13 states...and a very small population so it worked. Now its rediculous that its like 5 states that can decide the election. Essentially if your voting in a blue state as a republican..your vote means nothing.

People voting is what makes them a blue state or a red state.

only 4 times has the popular vote been different then the electoral college outcome. thats pretty good i think

Ok, I think I am done discussing this one. think I will not resort to the petty insults.

Ang is Maggio and Stoness' love child.

If I understand the US system correctly, it's theoretically possible for one candidate to get 100% of the popular vote, and still lose the election?

Extremely unlikely, I admit, but the fact that it's even possible beggars belief.