Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: official US langauge

Tnova Guest

Maggio, people are crappy, there will always be people who look down on other people. If it isn't language, it's because they are fat, or because the smell weird. Or because they have a ritual that involves cutting the neck off a chicken and drinking the blood.

My points are human beings are judgmental. People never see themselves as being judgmental at the time, only what they perceive as offensive to them. Kind of like how you talked about how you looked or treated shiva for poor English in the past.

I know I'm taking this in the broader context. But I think it applies to every situation. Instances like Racism, sexism, nationalism, and any other prejudices people have.

It has nothing to do with why English shouldn't be the only official language of the United States in my opinion.

This shouldn't even be a real topic for debate if people had a working knowledge of history and some common sense. What does history show us? Most groups tend to assimilate to the dominate culture completely in about 3 generations or less by my estimates and I'm not a genius. Take the german, italian, and others that came before... have those cultures or languages overtaken english and the "American" way? No they have not their all english speaking Americans and some are even anti immigration
    A more recent example would be my family and all those in my area. My family are immigrants and I'm first generation and so are many of the people I know are too. We are all fluent in both english and spanish and are entrenched in American culture. I know others who have arrived here for a few years and can speak english fine (of course they have a strong accent). I doubt this goes only to the Hispanic community but all other non-english speaking communities: We're not stupid, we know we need to speak english to succeed. Just give it a few years and most will be speaking better english than spanish... hell I speak, write, and read better english than I do spanish. My younger brother and cousins all speak with bad spanish already. Just tell your white friends that in a few years we'll be drinking beer and having a barbecue complaining about the **** Chinese stealing our jobs.

thanks for that post esco, im glad to here something from your perspective.

in Canada is english adn French, but that can cahnge becuae the popultion od mandrid speaking are is rising and haveing more influence.